Location: Roseau, Minnesota
Client: City of Roseau
The City of Roseau has been ambitiously reconstructing roadways and replacing aged sewer and water mains and services throughout the city. HEI has worked with the City Maintenance Superintendent and Planner since 2012 to schedule and budget projects annually to fit predetermined budgets of nearly $1 million per year. Each year, HEI has provided survey, design, and construction management services for projects that include sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water main replacement, and urban street and rural roadway reconstruction.
The water main project work has included the replacement of existing ductile iron water mains with new C-900 PVC, gate valves, hydrants, curb stops, and other features. All work is in accordance with the Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) requirements.
The sanitary sewer project includes VCP sanitary sewer collection systems being replaced with PVC sewer main and service piping, including precast concrete manhole installations. All work was completed in accordance with Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) requirements.
Storm sewer inlets and manholes are being replaced; notably, a new storm sewer main was installed to serve a commercial area in the northern part of the city. Lack of drainage had created unmaintained ditches and constant ponding due to heavy rainfall events. The new storm sewer collection system eliminates these deficiencies and provides aesthetic and operational improvements adjacent to businesses in this area.
Streets and surface drainage, including curb and gutter, are also being reconstructed as part of these utility replacement projects, providing a minimum of 10-ton streets throughout the city.
HEI is responsible for:
- Permit application preparations
- Plans and specifications
- Administration of the bidding process in accordance with State statutes
- Construction observation through completion
- Designing projects to appropriately match and manage annual limited local financial resources.
- Providing professional engineering services from planning through final construction.
- Providing aesthetic and operational improvements to areas adjacent to businesses.
- Ensuring MPCA and MDH requirements are met through project designs and construction.